COUNTDOWN: 92 DAYS TO KOREA.
I’m going to share with you a great place to stay in Jeju!
메모리펜션 Memory In Jeju Pension
Address: 강정동 3380-1, Seogwipo
Contact: +82 64-738-8933
Website: mpjeju.com (Korean; English website is on the way)
Email: email@example.com (English)
Memory in Jeju Pension Facebook page (English)
Memory in Jeju Pension VisitKorea profile (English)
My review in Tripadvisor (English)
Back in 2012, I was planning to stay in Jeju for 5D4N. As usual, I turned to Tripadvisor and considered those hotels/pensions/guesthouses featured there (Memory in Jeju Pension was not featured in Tripadvisor back then. In fact I was the first reviewer!). However I didn’t find any that satisfied my criteria.
My criteria in finding a place to stay in Jeju were:
- Near to the nature / close to the sea (basically different from staying in Hotel and Hanok in Seoul)
- Reasonable price/ value-for-money
- Owner able to speak English (especially important to me since English is not as commonly spoken in Jeju as compared to Seoul)
- Preferably a pension (I don’t want to travel all the way to Jeju and stay in one of those big hotels with hundreds of rooms. Neither do I want to stay in guesthouse since I am travelling with my parents and sister)
I first saw Memory in Jeju Pension’s profile in visitkorea.or.kr (useful website that I often use!). But I couldn’t find any online English reviews of this pension. After much search, I finally stumped upon a Korean sharing about this pension. though I don’t understand what he/she wrote (Google Translate it but not much of a use), but I saw the photos he/she posted were exactly the photos featured in mpjeju.com. I feel assured and motivated to stay in the pension, so I called Darcy, the owner. He spoke good English and told me to drop him an email with my details. I did that and had a wonderful stay in the pension!
Just to summarise from my Tripadvisor review:
- Pension is new (built in 2010) and looks like a modern European toy-land
- Pension is located in Seoguipo City
- Directions from Jeju Airport: At Jeju Airport, you can take limousine bus number 600 (as of Sep 2012, it costed 4,500 Won per pax). The journey takes about 1 hour & you can get off at World Cup Stadium stop, which is also the entrance of Emart (big supermarket in Jeju, with a small food court inside). From there, you can take a short car/cab ride to reach the pension (about 5 mins)
- Pension is surrounded by trees and garden, and about 10 mins away from the sea
- Darcy the owner speaks good English, friendly and helpful
- There are 2 kinds of room – for 2 pax (single storey) or 4 pax (double storey). My family and I stayed in the double storey house
- 2-storey house comes with a mini garden, 2 bathrooms, a fully furnished kitchen (electric kettle, rice cooker, oven, refrigerator, pots & pans, utensils, cups & wine glasses, wine opener…), TV with many channels, small balcony on 2nd floor, a dressing area, 1 double size bed & 1 sofa bed
- Also available: wireless internet (signal is strong), hair dryer, towels, toothpaste, soap, shampoo & body shower. Darcy mentioned that there is no toothbrush, so we brought ours along
- Useful for non-korean speakers to bring along the name & address of the pension in Korean, as well as phone number of the pension so that you can pass it to any cab driver/ locals with ease
So there you go, you know where to stay when you next visit Jeju! You can always drop me a note if you want to find out more!
I miss you, Memory Pension.
(Will post more photos of the Pension soon!)