COUNTDOWN: 66 DAYS TO KOREA
For our one month holiday in Korea (end March – end April 2014), we will be visiting the following places: Gurye, Hamyang, Seoul, Busan and Gyeongju.
- Located in the southwest portion of Korea, in the province of Jeollanam-do, South Korea
- A small, picturesque farming town situated between Jirisan and the Seomjin River
- Popular hiking destination during the spring and autumn seasons
- Popular yearly festivals such as 구례 산수유꽃축제 Gurye Sansuyu Festival, the Royal Azalea Festival and the Piagol Valley Maple Festival
- Most well-known local specialty produce of Gurye is Sansuyu/ cornelian cherries (67% of Korea’s production). It can be made into various food items e.g. teas, liquors, bread, rice cakes, cookies, ice cream, fried-flower cookies with sansuyu fruit. Sansuyu can help strengthen weak kidney’s functions, restore one’s energy/ stamina and strengthen the immune defense against diseases.
(photo from VisitKorea website)
And yes, I want to visit Gurye this March for their 구례 산수유꽃축제 Gurye Sansuyu Festival. Also, I plan to visit their traditional market, hot springs, national park, and temples!